Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Posters and such...

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a soft spot for--and a growing collection of--classic 60s concert posters done by artists like Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, Stanley Mouse, Gary Grimshaw and the whole Berkeley Bonaparte crew, as well as Bob Masse and Steve Seymour who were the folks who did most of the Vancouver Retinal Circus and/or Afterthought show posters.

Well, this post is about a newer artist I found during my 'net wanderings, a fella named Stainboy. I found Stainboy's posters at his site, and also at Deisel Fuel Prints, along with works by a number of other newer pop artists.

Short story: I like Stainboy's stuff. Lots.

Here's a couple of examples:





My guess is that Stainboy's stuff's gonna command a pretty penny a few decades from now, just like Moscoso's and Griffin's work does today.

And the pride of my collection (by Moscoso)...a 60s item known by some as the "Oracle Double" and commonly referred to as NR-13b...




...which is a very rare Moscoso overprint of two classic images designed by Rick Griffin for the San Francisco Oracle newspaper back in the day.


Well, okay...one other favorite: a Frank Lewis design from a misspent Hallowe'en at the Retinal...




(naaaaaahhhh...I'm glad I spent it that way...)

No comments: