Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Werner, you oughtta be ashamed of yourself.

Only a screencap will do justice to this one:

Highlighted Werner Patels quote: "What a great family where 17-year-olds sleep around and become pregnant. "

Regular readers will know that Werner has asked me not to post over at his place. Evidently he found me difficult.

Fine. I'm happy enough to make my point here.

Werner, you oughtta be ashamed of yourself.

Mr Obama, quoted at Fox News:
“I have heard some of the news on this and so let me be a clear as possible: I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people’s families are off limits, and people’s children are especially off limits. This shouldn’t be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Governor Palin’s performance as governor, or her potential performance as a VP. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories...You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and you know teenage children, that shouldn’t be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that’s off limits.”
Up till now, our disagreements aside, I've been willing to cut Werner some slack and I've kept his blog on my "Blogs I Appreciate" list. Today, his blog leaves there for a new and well-deserved place on my "Blogging Yo-Yos" list.

Werner occasionally makes sense, but the more I read his blog I realize that he is correct only in the fashion that a stopped watch is correct twice a day. I'd love to know what things Werner might consider ethical principles because...well, I'll just give this one example, since Werner prints as though he's an Obama supporter:

Here Werner opines about how it's sensible that people are losing interest in unions, noting that "No one needs those mob-like organizations anymore anyway."

And yet he completely ignores Mr Obama's position on unions, including the fact that Mr Obama supports the Employees Free Choice Act which, among other things, could make secret ballots on union workplace certification a thing of the past.

...if Barack Obama becomes president, secret ballots seem destined to end for at least one type of election: union certifications.

Currently, when 50 percent of workers in a company sign statements to unionize, that merely sets up a second stage, where workers vote by secret ballot to determine if the company would be unionized. Under the new proposal, using a system called “Card Check,” unionization would occur as soon as half the workers had signed cards stating that they favor union representation.

In other words, up until now, a worker could placate union supporters and sign a statement saying that he wanted a union and then vote against the union when he was protected by the secrecy of the voting booth.

While the Bush administration promised to veto the so-called “Employee Free Choice Act,” Obama has made his feelings about the legislation very clear. Last year, Obama promised, “We will pass the Employee Free Choice Act. It’s not a matter of 'if'; it’s a matter of 'when.' We may have to wait for the next president to sign it, but we will get this thing done.”

Obviously I have severe disagreements with Mr Obama's positions on a huge number of things, but he undeniably showed some class today regarding Ms Palin's kids. That's more than I can say for Werner.

1 comment:

BBS said...

Hilarious to see Werner still blogging away on what must be his 50th different blog and title. I think I lost track after the 6th, or was it 7th, version.